VA Northern California Health Care System
- Making My Goals Matter: Looking Forward to the Year Ahead
- This group focuses on identifying why goals can be helpful, obstacles that may arise and how to overcome these obstacles to achieve a desired outcome. Participants are coached to identify specific steps toward reaching the goal which take into account all the pressures and responsibilities of being a Caregiver. A visualization exercise is incorporated as a teaching tool to help Caregivers stay motivated towards reaching their goal.
- Wednesday, January 21st at 7pm ET
Wednesday, January 28th at 3pm ET
- Leaning into Love: Building Strong Relationship Bonds
- With all the challenges love relationships face, particularly if caring for someone with medical and mental health concerns, one’s own health challenges, time demands, financial and work stresses, caring for children, caring for a home, and trying to take care of ourselves, how do Caregivers keep investing in his/her partner? This group helps participants identify the struggles of a loving relationship; the conflicts and burdens that are felt, and guides participants in exploring some practical tools to better negotiate conflict and restore a loving connection.
- Tuesday, February 10th at 10am ET
Wednesday, February 18th at 7pm ET
Wednesday, February 25th at 3pm ET
- Creating a Space for You: Caring for a Loved One at Home
- This presentation explores the unique challenges of caring for a Veteran whose illness or injury can make it challenging to leave the home for medical appointments, trips or even a short drive into town. Caregiving for a loved one is truly a gift of Caregivers’ energy and attention, and while it can provide great satisfaction, it can also stress and strain the Caregiver. This group examines how caring may impact Caregivers overall health and well-being, and explores ideas to create the sacred space needed when caring for a loved one at home.
- Tuesday, March 10th at 10am ET
Wednesday, March 18th at 7pm ET
Wednesday, March 25th at 3pm ET
- Focusing on the Forgotten….ME!
- Caregivers have very demanding lives, with pressures and responsibilities seeming to come from every direction. This group focuses on recognizing these challenges and how easy it becomes to neglect one’s own needs. Caregivers will learn strategies to identify signs of stress and the belief system that contributes to focusing on others needs rather than one’s own. Strategies will be introduced to help Caregivers become more attuned to personal needs, opportunities to connect with people/places/experiences that restore balance and vitality. A body scanning activity and visualization activity are incorporated into the presentation as exercises Caregivers may do on their own to restore balance.
- Tuesday, April 14th at 10am ET
Wednesday, April 15th at 7pm ET
Wednesday, April 23rd at 3pm ET
- Goodbye to Going It Alone: Learning to Ask for Help
- In a society where independence and autonomy are so valued, asking for help can be a very difficult thing to do. This group focuses on challenging that belief system and viewing asking for help as a strength. The ability to recognize feelings and needs is something to be valued and honored. This group helps guide Caregivers in becoming more aware of when help may be needed, identify barriers of asking for help, and the steps of actually seeking out assistance.
- Tuesday, May 12th at 10am ET
Wednesday, May 20th at 7pm ET
Wednesday, May 27th at 3pm ET
- Balance in the Eye of the Storm: Self Care When Caring For a Loved One with Mental Health Concerns
- Caring for a loved one with mental health needs may present Caregivers with unique challenges. This presentation examines these challenges. Strategies are discussed to assist Caregivers in becoming more aware of personal reactions and tools are introduced to help Caregivers enhance their own well-being.
- Tuesday, June 9th at 10am ET
Wednesday, June 17th at 7pm ET
Wednesday, June 24th at 3pm ET
* Visit www.myvehucampus.com and selection the "Upcoming Events" Icon in the virtual lobby. Then click the "Register" icon next to "VA Caregiver Conference". Your minimum system requirements will be verified automatically. Then click "Continue to next step". Select the checkbox next to the session(s) you plan to attend and then click "Register. You will receive a confirmation by email.
New to MyVeHU Campus? Enrolling takes just a few minutes. Visit www.myvehucampus.com and click the ENROLL icon at the bottom of the page. Included are step by step instructions explaining how to enroll. If you need any assistance, please contact us. Email the MyVeHU Campus Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 423-979-4368. For more information, visit www.vehu.va.gov . All sessions are presented online, streamed directly to your desktop or mobile device.
VA offers a number of services that can provide you with the support that's right for you. Whether you and the Veteran you care for could use some help at home or you just need someone to listen, we're here to support you. Follow the link to learn more about the variety of services available to Family Caregivers.
If you are the Family Caregiver of a Veteran who was injured post-9/11, you may be eligible for additional services through VA, including a stipend, comprehensive training and medical coverage through VA if you are not already covered by a plan. Follow the link to learn more about the services and to see if you are currently eligible.
Have questions about VA Caregiver Support Services? Contact VA's Caregiver Support Line (1-855-260-3274) or your local Caregiver Support Coordinator for assistance.