VA Northern California Health Care System
VA Northern California Health Care System has an active Research and Development Program (R&D)and oversees protcols in the areas of human, animal and basic laboratory research.
Research studies are primarily conducted at the Sacramento VA Medical Center and the VA Martinez Outpatient Clinic and Center for Rehabilitation and Extended Care. We collaborate with the University of California (UC) at Davis and Berkeley on a variety of research protocols.
Areas of Research
Our current research studies enhance VA Northern California Health Care System's ability to provide state-of-the-art medical techniques and treatments to veterans.
Research areas include
- cancer research, including DNA repair
- neuroscience, including audiology, stroke rehabilitation, Alzheimer's disease, cognitive neuropsychology and visual motor protocols
- liver disease
- heart disease
- endocrinology disorders including diabetes mellitus, cholesterol and bone metabolism
- health systems, including health outcomes in quality, access, utilization and cost
CTSC Clinical Research Center (CCRC)
UC Davis is one of the institutions to receive a National Institute of Health Clinical and Translational Science Award. The Clinical Translational Science Center (CTSC) Clinical Research Center was developed through a partnership between VA Northern California Health Care System and the UC Davis Health System. The nine-bed center is located at the Sacramento VA Medical Center offering an optimal setting to conduct state-of-the-art, safe, and controlled inpatient and outpatient studies. Clinical active projects range from AIDS to cancer, pain management and bariatric weight reduction.
Total research funding for Fiscal Year 2013 was approximately 3.9 Million dollars. Funding sources included -
- National Institutes of Health
- National Science Foundation
- VA Merit Review
- National Cancer Institute
- National Institute on Aging
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders
- State government and industry sponsorship
Research Submission ProcessActive Recruiting Research Protocols
Information for Researchers
10535 Hospital Way, Bldg 650, Room 2B010
Mather, CA 95655
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pm