VA Northern California Health Care System
Schedule a VA Appointment
There are many ways for Veterans to make health care appointments.
- If you don’t have VA health care benefits, you can apply now. Apply for VA health care.
- If you’re having a medical emergency, please call 911 or call the Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255, then press 1.
Schedule an Appointment
Follow the instructions on this page on how to make an appointment by phone at this facility.
VA now offers online appointment scheduling for some appointments. We hope to expand the number of VA facilities and types of appointments in the future.
If you have VA health care benefits, you can schedule your VA primary care appointments online if you:
- Are scheduling your appointment with a VA medical facility that accepts online scheduling, and
- Have had a primary care appointment at that VA facility within the last 2 years, and
- Have a My HealtheVet Premium account or DS Logon Premium account (used for eBenefits and milConnect)
With your online account, you’ll also be able to:
- Track the status of requests
- Send messages about requested appointments
- Get notifications about appointments
- Cancel appointments
Upgrade your Existing Accounts
Appointment scheduling and answers to your health, eligibility and benefits questions are just a phone call away through VETSConnect, our friendly, convenient and easy-to-use telephone care program.
Make, Change or Cancel an Appointment
For eligibility and benefits questions, or to make, change or cancel an appointment call and speak with a Health Benefits Advisor.
Available Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., excluding federal holidays.
Speak with an Advice Nurse if you have health care questions, or need help understanding your options or deciding what to do next.
Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- write down your symptoms and any questions you have prior to calling the advice nurse. This will help ensure you don't forget anything.
- Have paper and pen handy to write down names, numbers and any care instructions you may need.
- If you are experiencing a life threatening medical emergency, please call 911. Please be advised that the VA my not pay for this service.
You may use our automated reminder system to obtain information about upcoming appointments. For your convenience, this system will automatically call you four days ahead to remind you of your scheduled appointment. After listening to the recorded announcement, you may either hang up or you may wait for the prompt to cancel your appointment.
Additional Appointment Information
Please arrive at least 15 minutes before your appointment time.
Information to Help You Decide about Where to Receive Your Care
VA has a regularly updated Access to Care website that provides useful information that can help you to decide the best VA location for you to receive your care. Before making an appointment, you can find out the following information for a VA location:
- Wait times for primary care, mental health, and some of the commonest specialties
- If same day services are available in primary care and mental health
- If Telehealth is available in primary care and mental health
- If it has an emergency room
- Facility contact information
- Veteran satisfaction scores
- Quality information comparing each VA and local area non-VA healthcare facilities
VA is committed to give Veterans the access to care they need, when they need it. When you’re planning your care at VA, you can rely on us to give you the information you need to make informed health care decisions.