VA Northern California Health Care System
We are committed to providing a variety of ways for patients to become active members of their health care team. We promote continued learning and encourage our patients to learn how to live a healthy lifestyle and self-manage their own health.
Patient Health Education Kiosks
Patient health education kiosks are located at each of our medical facilities. These convenient, user-friendly kiosks provide our veteran patients access to a wide range of health education and related materials including -
- reader-friendly health sheets on a variety of illnesses and medical conditions through KRAMES On-Demand
- MOVE Program
- request prescription refills
- information on prescription, over-the-counter and herbal medicines
- access to other health related Internet sites
The MyHealtheVet site provides veterans and their families excellent, reliable Patient Health Education information as well as the latest VA News. Information about veterans benefits and services is also available.
Upon registering with MyHealtheVet, you will be able to â€”
- refill prescriptions online
- keep personal food and activity journals
- monitor your personal health data, such as blood pressure and pain levels
- maintain your own self-entered personal health record
In addition to our comprehensive and informative new patient orientation programs, our clinical staff provide ongoing health education during regularly scheduled outpatient clinic visits. Courses focus on â€”
- stress reduction
- pain management
- smoking cessation
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- mental health
- health promotion
Please ask a staff member for information about upcoming education classes that are available.
Clinical staff begin the patient health education process at the time of admission, during the inpatient stay, and at discharge. Our goal is to provide an inpatient environment where patients â€”
- continually receive updated health information
- are able to ask questions about their health
- can enjoy as comfortably as possible their stay in our facility
Our clinical staff can also assist patients in accessing online patient education materials.
The staff at our Medical Library at the Sacramento McClellan OPC is experienced in providing education assistance to patients. The library is located in Building 949, Room 103.