VA Northern California Health Care System
About the Program
Chaplain Service ministers to all faith traditions, and provides continuous programs of specialized care for inpatients, outpatients, families, and hospital staff. All staff chaplains are trained and experienced in providing spiritual and pastoral care to those of all faith traditions, and those who do not have any stated religious preference. All staff chaplains are trained to provide faith-specific patient requests, and will coordinate with community clergy for sacramental and ritual support. All VA Chaplains are qualified by graduate education, clinical training, pastoral experience, and faith group endorsement to provide spiritual care in a health care setting.
The Chaplain Service mission is to provide spiritual and pastoral care to Veterans, staff, family and friends upon request. In a proactive ministry of presence, we engage in visitation, personal and group counseling, and sacramental rites to enhance and celebrate the spiritual dimension of those entrusted to our care. For specific information on the services we provide, please call Chaplain Service at (916) 843-9221.
Pastoral and Sacramental Ministries
|Professional help in crisis situations:
Weddings and Memorials
Public (as scheduled)
Veterans and their families
Spiritual Support Groups
Groups, dates, times and location are subject to change. Please use phone numbers provided below for current information on groups.
Fairfield: David Grant Medical Center, Room 4A423, Travis Air Force Base (707) 423-7224
- *Pornography Addiction Group – Mondays and Fridays, 1:00 p.m.
- *Grief and Loss Support Group – Mondays and Fridays, 3:00 p.m.
- *Military Sexual Trauma – Tuesdays and Fridays, 1:00 p.m.
- *Spirituality for Recovery Group – Tuesdays and Fridays, 3:00 p.m.
*Prior to attending these groups, all who are interested must schedule an individual assessment with Chaplain Martindale prior to attending. This is necessary due to the sensitivity of the issues being discussed. All groups meet for six weeks, break for two weeks, and start a 6 week period again. For current times, locations and dates, please contact Chaplain Martindale at (707) 423-7224.
Martinez: Please contact Chaplain service at (925) 370-4178 for current information.
- Aging With Grace – Tuesdays, 11:00 a.m. Building 20 CREC, Tahoe Unit, T149 North Dining Room.
- Amputee Support Group – Tuesdays, 2:00 p.m., Building 20, Room 100 – Recreation Therapy Conference Room.
- Spiritual Care Bible Study Support Group – Second and fourth Wednesdays every month, 11:00 a.m., Building 2860, Room 128: Psychosocial Rehabilitation Recovery Center.
- Protestant Worship Service – Sundays, 2:00 p.m., Building 20, Room S-103, Dining Room.
Mather: Please contact Chaplain service at (916) 843-9221 for current information.
- 12-Step Life Recovery Group – Thursdays, 11:00 a.m., Building 649 (Outpatient Mental Health), Room 115.
- Grief and Bereavement Support Group – Second and fourth Wednesdays every month, 12:00 noon, Building 727, Room 115.
- Spirituality Wellness Group – Restricted to Behavioral Health Intensive Care Unit (BHICU) inpatients only. Every Wednesday, 11:00 a.m., BHICU Group Room.
Chaplain Service Hours: Chaplains are available 24/7 at all VA Northern California inpatient locations: Fairfield (Travis AFB), Martinez and Mather.
Regular Chaplain Service Business Hours:
Fairfield, Martinez and Mather - Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m.to 4:30 p.m.
Brenda C. Davis, Chief, Social Work and Chaplain Services, Supervisor
Chaplain Oledia Bell (Martinez)
Chaplain Nancy Smith (Martinez)
Chaplain Joanne Martindale (Fairfield)
Chaplain Robert Thomas (Mather)
Chaplain Frank Yapp (Mather)
10535 Hospital Way
Mather, CA 95655
Hours of Operation
- 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.