VA Northern California Health Care System
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender (LGBT) Program
LGBT Veterans face increased health risks and unique challenges in accessing quality healthcare. The VA is developing policies, provider-education programs, and services to ensure high-quality patient-centered care for LGBT Veterans. The VA strives to be a national leader in the provision of health care to LGBT Veterans and assure that care is provided in a sensitive, safe environment at VA health facilities nationwide.
VA Northern California Health Care System is proud and committed to serve Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Veterans. We thank you for your service.
Come and join our LGBT Family!!! We have many resources available for you.
JOIN OUR LGBT VETERANS ADVOCACY GROUP
We meet monthly at Mather and Martinez. This is not a psychotherapy group. It is a collaborative of LGBT Veterans and LGBT VA Staff that comes together to provide safe space, social support, organize Educational LGBT Health Events for VA Providers and advocate for LGBT-affirming Health Care Policies. If you are interested in joining the group please contact Artur Akkerman LCSW, LGBT Veteran Care Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org and or (925)372-2267
Some of our prior events supporting LGBT Veterans:
- VA Northern California Health Care System's first inclusion in Sacramento's and Oakland's LGBT Pride Events, Summer 2015. We also participated in Pride at Sacramento this year(2016) as well and expect to do the same in Oakland in the fall.
- Organized and moderated VA Northern California Health Care System's first LGBT Veterans Panel for Primary Care Service Providers. Main location was at Mather with V-tel to our other 10 sites. This resulted in our Director receiving a letter from CalVet's Deputy Secretary Office praising us on our efforts to improve health care for LGBT Veterans, Spring 2014
- Disseminated VACO's LGBT Safe Space campaign posters across all of our sites to welcome LGBT Veterans.
- Developed and implemented VA Northern California Health Care System's first LGBT Website for Veterans to advertise services available to support LGBT Veterans.
- Provided training to Volunteers of America Case Management Team working with Veterans at Mather AFB about LGBT Veterans.
- Staff training on providing LGBT-affirming services for Primary Care Service Providers at Martinez campus.
STAY IN THE KNOW
Join our EMAIL LISTSERVE to receive updates and news on all LGBT Health Information related to Veterans and VA Northern California Health Care System. To sign up just sent an email with a subject heading “SUBSCRIBE” to email@example.com.
LGBT Related Programs and NEWS:
At VA Northern California Health Care System, Speech-Language Pathology is providing evidence based clinically proven Voice therapy for Transgender Veterans wishing to change the pitch of their voice to match their gender identity. We work closely with an interdisciplinary team including Endocrinology, Mental health, Pharmacy, Dermatology, Women's health and Surgery. Our goals are to safely raise or lower vocal pitch, teach gender specific non-verbal communication strategies, prosody, vocabulary and overall vocal health. We provide both individual and group therapy and have made connections within the local LGBTQ communities in both Sacramento and Martinez. We are very proud of our service and look forward to developing this program further and in serving this important portion of our veteran population. For more information please contact Meghan Kelly CCC-SLP 916-843-6197 at Mather VA and Rachel Agron CCC-SLP 925-372-2638 at Martinez VA.
Providing Health Care for Transgender & Intersex Veterans VHA Directive
VHA Directive 2013-003: Providing Health Care for Transgender and Intersex Veterans details access to care for transgender and intersex Veterans including a Frequently Asked Questions section. Topics include prevalence, definition of terms, and clarification about services that are covered under the Directive. Read the Directive.
Information Letter About Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Veterans
Recently, an Information Letter about the specific health needs of LGB Veterans was released to assure that there is nationwide continuity in welcoming LGBT Veterans into VHA facilities. The Information Letter underscores the importance of quality, and respectful care. Please read the LGBT Veteran Information Letter.
VA Health Care Facilities Participate in Health Care Equality Index
Starting in 2013, VA health care facilities throughout the country were encouraged to participate in the Human Rights Campaign's Healthcare Equality Index (HEI). Participation in the HEI is voluntary and consists of reporting health care systems' policies and trainings related to LGBT patients and families; it is known as an indicator of an LGBT-positive health care environment. The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation designed the HEI to allow U.S. health care organizations to assess the degree to which they provide LGBT patient-centered care, to identify and remedy any gaps and to make public their commitment to LGBT patients and their families. Each year, The Healthcare Equality Index is published identifying participating facilities and those that achieved "Leader" status in LGBT care.
150 Muir Rd.
Martinez, CA 94553
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.