VA » Health Care » VA Northern California Health Care System » Health Care Services » Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Service
VA Northern California Health Care System
Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Service
The Pathology & Laboratory Medicine Service (PLMS) encompasses a multitude of specialties and provides continuous Veteran-centered care for a variety of medical ailments. This care includes, but is not limited to, assessment, diagnosis, and follow-up evaluations as indicated. Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Service (PLMS) provides complete diagnostic and therapeutic services encompasses a multitude of specialties which include:
- Diagnostic histopathology and cytopathology services
- Tumor diagnosis
- Cancer conference with pathology case presentation
- Hematology service includes bone marrow and lymph node biopsy interpretation.
- Autopsy services are provided.
- Blood Transfusion Services
- Biochemical and therapeutic drug tests
- General and special hematologic tests
- General and special chemistry tests
- Coagulation testing
- Urine testing
- Aerobic and anaerobic microbiology, mycobacteriology and mycology testing
- Toxicology services are limited to drugs of abuse urine screening
- Point-of-Care Testing oversight by the laboratory on testing that is performed remotely from the laboratory setting
Typically, most services are accessed through a consult from your Primary Care Provider or Attending Physician.
- Sacramento VAMC
Hours of Operation
Mon - Fri 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Sat 8 a.m. - 1 p.m.