VA » Health Care » VA Northern California Health Care System » Health Care Services » Traumatic Brain Injury Services
VA Northern California Health Care System
Traumatic Brain Injury Services
TBI / Polytrauma INTEGRATED CARE
The hallmark of TBI and Polytrauma rehabilitation in VA is the patient–centered, interdisciplinary approach to care. Veterans, their caregivers, and interdisciplinary teams of rehabilitation specialists engage in the development and implementation of a treatment plan that addresses the individual needs and goals of the Veteran, and focuses on community reintegration. A Case Manager is assigned to every patient receiving rehabilitation care in the PSC. Case Managers coordinate services and resources to optimize rehabilitation outcomes.
- Assistive Technology Labs that serve to maximize the functional status of Veterans with disabilities through the use of technology;
- Transitional Rehabilitation Programs focusing on promoting independence and community re-integration after injury;
- Telehealth Services for Veterans living at a distance from the medical centers;
- Drivers’ Training Programs providing assessments and training for adaptive driving;
- Emerging Consciousness Programs serving Veterans who are slow to recover consciousness after severe brain injuries
VA tracks and compares TBI rehabilitation outcomes with those from the private sector. A collaborative research project between the five VA Polytrauma Rehabilitation Centers and the Traumatic Brain Injury Model Systems (TBIMS) evaluates the long term outcomes of patients who suffered a TBI. VA outcomes compare favorably to those from the civilian TBIMS, both in percentages of patients discharged to home, and patients who live independently at one and two years following rehabilitation.
VA has a robust TBI research program. “The Chronic Effects of Neurotrauma Consortium (CENC),” a large interagency collaboration led by a VA researcher, just completed enrollment of over 1,600 participants with militaryrelated TBI. Over 70 researchers are currently analyzing data to advance the understanding of the biological basis of TBI and lead the way in diagnosis, prevention and treatment.
Sacramento VA Medical Center
Martinez Outpatient Clinic
Mare Island Outpatient Clinic
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pm